Wednesday, 23 April 2014

(failed) attempt at making ferrofluid

As the title suggests, I tried to make some homemade ferrofluid by adding acetone (which I got from Bunnings for $10 a litre) to VHS tape. The acetone is supposedly meant to dissolve the plastic of the tape, and leave the magnetic grime behind, which I was then going to mix with baby oil and hey presto: ferrofluid. Unfortunately however, for some reason the acetone didn't melt the plastic of the tape, and it just simply didn't happen. It did melt other plastic though, so it must just be the kind of plastic in the VHS tapes I have–they just don' melt. I was meant to let it sit for 25mins, but even after 3 days, mine was going nowhere.